Friday, April 22, 2011

Windy day at the Pond

Tree's are budding out and it's a sunny Colorado day.


Here's a post to introduce Eli. Elijah David. He's gonna be eleven next week.

Today was windy. Still, Eli gets out of school early on Friday's and I promised him a fishing trip.

We decided to go try out a couple cane poles in the bubbler ponds. I told him we had some worms, that Ben had left us, and I'd show him how to use these long wooden poles (he thought they were flyrods). We found a calmer spot, out of the wind and he had a crawler on the hook in no time!


Eli got the hang of the cane pole pendulum cast pretty easily and had a bait drifting in no time.

The fish however were nowhere to be found.


Oh well, cattails are fun. Jumping across rocks is fun. Getting pond mud on your school shoes, well, blame gramps on that one.



Still have plenty of worms, maybe it will be calmer tomorrow and we can try a shallower pond. I'll need to work on my 'keep the school shoes clean' technique though.

2 comments:

  1. Anytime is a good time to go fishing! Fish'll come soon enough. I haven't fished with a cane pose in probably 30 years. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got that right! It was probably closer to 50yrs for me. lol...

    I still had the 'get it in the water' technique in memory, just have to see how we do with 'Fish on' next!

    I'm a little worried about the tips on these poles. They don't seem as durable anymore. A fish over 8oz could likely take off with the hook, line, and tip.

    I think I better restring it to double tie the line at the end and again a few feet down the first segment.

    I might need to show Eli how to make one, Huck Finn style from some willow.

    ReplyDelete